Deputy Chief Jim Jessop accepts donation from Ian Ross of Union Gas. (Photo courtesy of the City of London Fire Department)

Deputy Chief Jim Jessop accepts donation from Ian Ross of Union Gas.
(Photo courtesy of the City of London Fire Department)

Union Gas has awarded the London Fire Department $2,000 to help in the effort to raise public awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide and the need for working CO detectors in the home. The grant will be used to purchase detectors that will be distributed in the community.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, invisible gas that can build up in y our home when fuel – burning appliances are not functioning or venting correctly. Undetected, it can cause serious health problems, even death.

Ian Ross, Union Gas district manager for London/Sarnia presented the cheque to Deputy Fire Chief Jim Jessop today at Fire Station No. 1.

“As a company, our focus on safety doesn’t end with the workday. We believe in investing in programs that will help make our communities safer 24/7,” said Ross . “That’s why we make it a priority to support important safety programs like this one, which is helping increase the awareness of the importance of carbon monoxide detectors.”

“The London Fire Department is proud to expand our partnerships with all our community stakeholders to help us increase the level of safety in those neighborhoods and homes that may not have the resources to purchase these life saving devices ,” said Deputy Chief Jessop . “ We thank Union Gas for this generous donation and commit to ensure these resources are provided to those most in need in our city. ”