A Saturday morning fire has caused an estimated $140,000 in damages.

Just after 9 a.m., firefighters were called to a townhouse on Southdale Road East just west of Pond Mills Road. Crews were able to quickly control the blaze but there was extensive fire, heat and smoke damage.

Platoon Chief Jeff Adams tells AM980 there was only one woman in the unit at the time.

“She apparently had turned the element on the stove where she had some grease she was going to heat up to cook,” Adams explains. “There was a kitchen adjunct there that she went to make some coffee. She came back to the kitchen area and the top of the stove was ablaze.”

The woman immediately left the unit and began asking neighbours to call firefighters. There were no injuries.

“There was one smoke alarm in the lower level, the basement level, that was activated,” says Adams.

“We did not find one on the main floor. That may have been there but was destroyed by the high heat. We did not find one in the second floor level.”

The name and age of the woman have not been released but officials say she has two children, a 17 year old and a 2 year old, who were not at the townhouse at the time of the fire.

The London Middlesex Housing Corporation and the Red Cross are providing accommodations for the woman.

The Ontario Fire Marshall is investigating.

via AM980 News