London Fire Department Reminds Residents
About the Dangers of Careless Smoking

The London Fire Department would like to remind residents of the dangers of careless smoking. So far in 2017, there have been 12 fires caused by the careless disposal of smoking materials, resulting insix injuries and over $400,000 in damage.

Careless smoking is the leading cause of fire deaths in Ontario. “We are seeing far too many fires being caused by the careless disposal of smoking materials,” said Deputy Chief Brian McLaughlin. “These fires and injuries caused by these fires are entirely preventable.”
Some things to consider when it comes to smoking safety include:

  • Encourage smokers to smoke outside.
  • Do not extinguish cigarettes in plant pots, which may contain a mixture of peat moss, shredded wood and bark that can easily ignite.
  • Never smoke in bed.
  • Use large, deep ashtrays that cannot be knocked over.
  • Empty ashes into a metal container – not the garbage can – and put it outside.
  • If people have been smoking in your home, check behind chair and sofa cushions for cigarette butts before going to bed.

Install smoke alarms on every storey of your home and outside all sleeping areas. For added protection, install a smoke alarm in every bedroom. Test smoke alarms every month and replace the batteries at least once a year. Replace all smoke alarms that are expired or over 10 years of age.

For further information:
Deputy Chief Brian McLaughlin
519 661-2500 ext. 6514
bmclaugh@london.ca

 

Media Release – Careless Smoking – PDF version
Media Release – Careless Smoking – JPG version