Man, 36, dies in early morning apartment blaze

Rosslyn Raymond Windrim, 36, died when fire enveloped him in his apartment at 29 Craig St. early today.

Occupants of other apartments had already been forced out of the building when firefighters arrived to extinguish the flames at about 1 a.m.

Police said they were advised by Robert Kaufman, an inspector with the Ontario fire marshal’s office, that careless smoking is believed to be the cause.

District Fire Chief Clarence Fones estimated damage at $20,000. He said the fire broke out in a living room chesterfield.

Police said an occupant of another apartment, Lynne Parry, phoned in the first alarm on the 911 emergency system, and that another apartment dweller, Garnette Tate tried to get into the victim’s room but was forced back by heavy smoke and heat.