Firefighters are cautioning the public after a dishwasher possibly under recall is suspected of starting a recent blaze at a southwest London home.

London firefighters were called to a condo where they saw smoke coming from around the dishwasher, which had been running. One of the residents shut off power to the home before fleeing, said firefighters, who doused the blaze that damaged the dishwasher and surrounding cabinet.

The dishwasher, sold under the brand name Viking, was possibly subject to a product recall. At least 26 reported fires involving the appliance have resulted in property damage, though nobody has been injured in the incidents, firefighters said.

“This fire could have been far worse if the occupants had been sleeping or left the house with the dishwasher running,” deputy fire chief Jack Burt said in a statement Monday.

“When using major appliances such as dishwashers, washing machines and dryers, people should be conscious of the possibility of fire and monitor them while in use. We also want to remind people to ensure they have working smoke alarms on every level of their home to give them early warning in the event of a fire.”

Viking is recalling certain Model 325 and 450 24-inch dishwashers manufactured between May 26, 2010, and Sept. 15, 2010.

“The voluntary recall is being implemented as a result of the potential for fire . . . an electrical connector to the dishwasher heater may fail resulting in overheating and creating a risk of fire, ” the company said in a statement.

Owners of Viking dishwashers can find out whether their appliances are affected by the recall by clicking here.

CPSC Press Release

Source: Firefighters issue appliance warning | the London Free Press