About 40 people flooded onto Richmond Street Friday night after a kitchen fire at a Japanese restaurant spread to the building’s roof.

No one was injured during the fire, which broke out about 9:15 p.m. in the Ah-So Gardens, 735 Richmond St.

Fire Platoon Chief Ken Porter said the blaze started in the restaurant’s grease-fryer but quickly spread through the building’s exhaust system before igniting the roof. He said the fire caused about $25,000 damage.

Ah-So Gardens manager Dan Hong said about 40 customers were in the restaurant and “were asked to leave way before the fire got out of control. There was no panic. Everyone just got up and left quickly after we asked them to.”

Restaurant cook Wayne Thompson said the four workers in the kitchen left through the back door after it appeared the fire was spreading.

Source: London Free Press