fire (2)A kitchen fire at an apartment building on Cherryhill Boulevard has left a London woman and her elderly mother temporarily homeless.

London fire crews were called to the apartment building around 10:30 p.m. Tuesday  after a fire broke out in the kitchen of their second floor apartment.

District Chief Andy Britton says it spread quickly.

“There were items on the stove, the tenant went to start the kettle, put the kettle on and put the wrong burner on. I believe there was grease involved, on the burner that the grease was on.”

Both women made it out of the apartment safely and no other tenants or firefighters were injured, but Britton says both women are lucky they weren’t hurt.

“There was a time there it wasn’t attended, but again it was you know, the wrong burner that she had lit where there was grease and when she did get over to it, it just flared up on her immediately and they were fortunate to get out.”

Damage is estimated at $10,000.

Both women spent the night with family, and will be temporarily homeless while repairs are made.

The fire inspector attended the scene Tuesday night and will return Wednesday to complete their investigation.

Source: Cherryhill Kitchen Fire Leaves Two Temporarily Homeless | (CFPL AM) AM 980