May 2017

Pet CPR and house fire

May 16th, 2017|

March 2017

Group home case sentencing adjourned

March 20th, 2017|

Group home fire violation case sentencing adjourned for pre-sentencing report – London

Keith Charles’s request for a pre-sentence report was granted on Monday, at what would have been his sentencing hearing at a courthouse in London.

The group home operator was found guilty of 12 fire code violations related to a fire in November 2014 at […]

Investigation into London high rise fire continues

March 13th, 2017|

Four people were injured in a fire early Sunday morning at a London high rise apartment building.

Fire crews were called to 85 Walnut Street in central London, just south of Riverside Drive, on Sunday around 3:30 a.m. By the time fire fighters arrived, flames could be seen engulfing a 14th floor balcony.

Three residents and […]

Group home operator found guilty

March 13th, 2017|

Controversial group home operator Keith Charles is facing an enormous financial penalty after being found guilty Friday morning of 12 fire code infractions.

The prosecution is seeking $60,000 in fines – $5,000 for each count – for the 12 convictions at 1452 Oxford St. that stretch from April 7 to November 3, 2014, when resident […]

Apartment fire injures siblings

March 12th, 2017|

A woman was clinging to life Sunday following a blaze that injured four people, including a firefighter, at a London public housing highrise where a man died in a fire three years ago.

Residents at 85 Walnut St., a building run by the London and Middlesex Housing Corp., awoke Sunday to the fire alarm going […]

February 2017

Elderly woman dead after north London fire

February 27th, 2017|

An elderly woman has died following a weekend blaze at a northeast London apartment building, the city’s first fire death of 2017.

Firefighters responded to a report of an apartment fire at 744 Fanshawe Park Rd. E., located east of Adelaide Street, Saturday at 5:50 p.m.

An injured 76-year-old woman was found in one of the […]

Woman injured in apartment fire

February 27th, 2017|

A elderly woman was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries after an apartment fire in north London.

London police haven’t released the name or age of the woman who was found inside a fourth floor unit at 744 Fanshawe Park Rd.

She was rushed to the London Health Sciences Centre. Damage to the apartment unit was […]

Car Fire

February 20th, 2017|

A car caught fire today outside of my apartment building. Here is the video of the car fire. Firemen did an awesome job putting this out.

Three escape basement fire in Byron

February 13th, 2017|

Three occupants were able to make it out a home in Byron after a basement fire quickly spread to the kitchen.

The three people in the home on Griffith Street were taken to hospital was a precaution for smoke inhalation.

The fire was reported shortly after 7 a.m. at an address on Griffith Street west of […]

Guard injured in jail fire

February 3rd, 2017|

Two inmates charged with arson in cell blaze at Elgin-Middlesex Detention Centre in London

Two inmates have been charged with arson for allegedly setting a cell ablaze at London’s provincial jail.

Police confirmed the charges Friday against the two unnamed men, both of them inmates at the Elgin-Middlesex Detention Centre.

Emergency responders were called to the Exeter […]

Fire guts garage in southeast

February 3rd, 2017|

A detached garage was gutted by fire early Friday morning on Whitehall Drive.

Emergency crews responded to a call about a garage fire shortly before 7 a.m. Friday. Upon arrival crews found heavy smoke coming from a detached garage at the back of the property.

Within thirty minutes the fire was under control enough that firefighters […]

Reported fire at EMDC

February 3rd, 2017|

Emergency responders called to reported blaze at Elgin-Middlesex Detention Centre

Emergency responders were called to a reported fire at London’s provincial jail Thursday night.

More than a half dozen fire trucks, two police cruisers and two ambulances were dispatched to the Middlesex Detention Centre shortly after 9 p.m.

Paramedics didn’t transport anyone to hospital, said a duty […]

January 2017

Car fire near Westmount

January 30th, 2017|

One vehicle was destroyed after it caught fire in a parking lot of high-rise in the area of Westmount Mall early Monday morning.

Fire officials say crews were called to a Timbercreek Property at 750 Wonderland Road S. around 3:30 a.m. Once on scene they found a vehicle engulfed in flames.

The fire was quickly put […]

Blind Man’s Escape From Blaze A ‘Teachable Moment’

January 28th, 2017|

A 71-year-old London man is sharing his story of a traumatic apartment fire that left his hands burnt in hopes of educating the public about the importance of fire safety.

Arko Ypma, who has been blind for decades, was vacuuming his Simcoe St. apartment December 28 when he smelled smoke.

“I didn’t realize there was a […]

Too Close

January 27th, 2017|

“Never Say Never”

January 27th, 2017|

“Never Say Never”: Man Who Is Blind Shares Message After Escaping Blaze
A 71-year-old man is urging Londoners to learn from his mistakes, following an apartment fire that could have had a much worse outcome — if not for a neighbour, and the man’s seeing eye dog.

Arko Ypma — who is blind — was doing […]

Close call spurs fire safety reminder

January 27th, 2017|

Londoner Arko Ypma was vacuuming his Simcoe Street apartment a few days after Christmas when he smelled smoke.

The 71-year-old blind man thought the vacuum was over­heating and brought it to the balcony to cool off.

But the vacuum was on fire and Ypma was unknowingly dropping burning plastic across the floor and over furniture as he […]

Burned man had stab wound

January 27th, 2017|

Emergency responders were called to a vehicle fire at Riverside and Wonderland about 8:10 a.m.

Fire causes $120K in damage

January 18th, 2017|

A fire that started by boiling oil caused $120,000 damage to a home in the Trafalgar and Hamilton Road area.

Emergency crews were called to 95 Dillabough St. on Jan. 12.

Once on scene, firefighters were met with visible flames and heavy smoke pouring from the home.

It proved to be a stubborn blaze as there was […]

Generous greeting awaits burned-out Syrians

January 12th, 2017|

Jennifer Whitehead’s London basement is packed to the ceiling with donated goods.

But it’s an open question whether the heaping collection will ever end up in the hands of a Syrian family burned out of their public housing unit late last fall.

Why?

Because the family — a mother and her four children — reportedly left for […]