Carbon Monoxide Incident

April 2019

Carbon monoxide levels force evacuation of apartment building

April 8th, 2019|

Elevated levels of carbon monoxide forced the evacuation of a highrise apartment building at 544 Talbot St. Monday evening. No one was hurt in the incident.

“There were people in the building,” when a Union Gas crew detected the poisonous gas, related to a problem with the building’s heating, ventilation or air conditioning system, said […]

December 2017

Wrong alarm almost kills couple

December 13th, 2017|

It’s a cautionary tale about the “silent killer.”

A London couple is trumpeting the need for carbon monoxide (CO) detectors after a close call at their Lambeth home.

A simple swim turned into a near-death experience after a faulty indoor pool heater began leaking carbon monoxide into the air.

The London fire department said in a media […]

October 2016

Close Call Shows Need For Carbon Monoxide Detectors

October 16th, 2016|

The London Fire Department says an incident at a home in Oakridge shows just how important it is to have a functioning carbon monoxide detector.As it prepares to launch this year’s “Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week,” the fire department says it was called to a home in an Oakridge subdivision last Thursday night. A home […]

April 2012

Players Rushed to Hospital, Could Be Linked to Elevated Levels of Carbon Monoxide

April 27th, 2012|

There were some very scary moments Thursday night at London Ice Park or as most Londoners still call it, Brookside Arena

Two men’s teams were playing pickup when some of them started feeling sick 90 minutes into the game.

One was so sick that his teammates found him lying on his back on the dressing room […]

Carbon Monoxide Leak Forces Evacuation at London Arena

April 27th, 2012|

An arena on Brookside Drive was evacuated Thursday night after at least a dozen people began showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Two men’s league teams were playing at the London Ice Park on Brookside Dr. around 7:30 when several of them started feeling sick, about an hour and a half into the game.

One person […]

Faulty Zamboni Causes Carbon Monoxide Scare

April 27th, 2012|

It looks like a malfunctioning Zamboni was to blame for last night’s carbon monoxide scare at a London arena.

Two men’s league teams were playing at the London Ice Park on Brookside Street around 7:30 p.m. when several players began to feel sick.

One person was transported to hospital while paramedics treated several more at the […]

Carbon monoxide leak empties arena

April 27th, 2012|

A London arena was evacuated after several people felt dizzy and nauseous — the spell so bad one man had to be taken to hospital after his teammates found him lying on his back in the dressing room struggling to breathe.

Boris Markowski said two men’s teams were playing pickup hockey at the twin-pad London […]

December 2010

Vents blocked by snow can cause fatalities

December 8th, 2010|

Beware.

All that white stuff can unleash a deadly killer: carbon monoxide.

Fire and Union Gas officials are warning Londoners to keep their natural gas vents free from mounting snow drifts.

A blocked vent can lead to a buildup of the odourless killer, ending in death.

Case in point was Elgin Hall, a student residence at the University […]