(Free Press File photo)

Elevated levels of carbon monoxide forced the evacuation of a highrise apartment building at 544 Talbot St. Monday evening. No one was hurt in the incident.

“There were people in the building,” when a Union Gas crew detected the poisonous gas, related to a problem with the building’s heating, ventilation or air conditioning system, said Deputy Fire Chief Jack Burt.

His crew went through the structure to make sure it was safe for residents to return.

“We try to go through the entire building to make sure there’s no hidden pockets of carbon monoxide,” he said. “In high concentrations, it can be fatal.”

The invisible gas has no smell or taste, which underlines the importance of having working carbon monoxide detectors, he said.

Source: London Free Press | Carbon monoxide levels force evacuation of apartment building