Two people were sent to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation following an early morning fire in the Hamilton Road and Egerton area.

Fire crews were called to the scene at an apartment on Dame Street around 2:30 Monday morning.

It is believed the fire started in the bathroom of a basement apartment, though at this point it is unclear why.

Investigators have released few details, but say the home had working smoke alarms.

Their investigation into the blaze is expected to continue today.

No damage estimate has been released.

Source: Basement Fire Sends Two People to Hospital for Smoke Inhalation | (CFPL AM) AM 980