Monthly Archives: August 2012

August 2012

SUV crashes into house

August 31st, 2012|

Luckily, no one was home when a Honda CR-V SUV crashed into a house on Lawson Road Friday afternoon (Aug. 31) and ended up plowing into one of the home’s rear rooms.

Sgt. Alex Krygsman of the London Police Service said police received a 911 call at about 1:25 p.m. and when they arrived at […]

University Hospital parking-garage fire not arson: London officials

August 26th, 2012|

A Saturday night fire that damaged part of the parking garage and five vehicles at University Hospital was accidental, officials said Sunday.The owner of one of the damaged vehicles lives outside London and used a GPS to help him get to the hospital. When he attempted to remove the GPS, it caused sparks eventually […]

Arson Ruled Out in U.H. Parking Garage Fire

August 26th, 2012|

It was business as usual Monday morning at University Hospital, days after fire broke out on the second level of the visitor’s parking garage.

The garage has been reopened, and hundreds of people whose vehicles were stranded have been allowed to retrieve them.

Officials with the London Health Sciences Centre say an investigation has determined Saturday […]

Emergency Crews Quell Explosive Situation

August 26th, 2012|

There was high drama on Grey Street Saturday afternoon.

CTV reports Fire crews and Police were called to a home in the 400-block of Grey Street just after 5 o’clock after a call about a possible gas leak.

When officials arrived on scene, they found the natural gas levels in the ‘explosive’ range.

Residents of the home […]

Natural gas leak briefly shuts down Grey Street neighbourhood

August 26th, 2012|

A forced evacuation of homes on Grey Street was avoided Saturday Aug. 26 after fire department crews responded to a report of a natural gas leak inside a home.Upon arrival at the scene at 427 Grey St. at around 5 p.m., fire officials determined there was a dangerous level of natural gas inside the […]

University Parking Garage Fire

August 26th, 2012|

[warning]Driving requires your full attention.
Ontario’s ban on hand-held devices while driving took effect on October 26, 2009.[/warning]

via YouTube posted by October162001

Parking Garage Blaze

August 26th, 2012|

It certainly looked like a blaze with tremendous power. But in the end no-one was hurt and only car and property were destroyed. And officials have now identified the cause of a fire that wrecked several cars and damaged a staff parking garage at London’s University Hospital. CTV’s Lisa Xing has the story.

via CTV […]

Police Investigate Suspicious Fire at University Hospital Parking Garage

August 25th, 2012|

A fire call at an above-ground parking garage at University Hospital quickly became a criminal investigation.

At around 7:30 Saturday evening, emergency services reported to the area of Richmond and Windermere. At least five cars were on fire in the parking structure.

According to London Fire Platoon Chief Paul Carew, the fire was more serious than […]

Fire Crews Work To Douse Electrical Fire In Downtown London

August 25th, 2012|

London Fire crews had an early start to their morning with a call in the downtown core.

Officials say they were dispatched to a blaze in the basement of Thaifoon restaurant on Dundas near Talbot Streets.

The call came in around 7:20 a.m.

When they arrived on scene, crews say they found a small electrical fire in […]

Students asked: Are you living in a fire-safe environment?

August 23rd, 2012|

Post-secondary students who are living away from home are being reminded to take the time to ensure they’re living in a fire-safe environment.

“Educating students on what they can do to stay safe during the school year is important and often overlooked,” said Jason Poole, public fire and life safety educator with the fire department. […]

Grease Fire Destroys North East London Apartment

August 20th, 2012|

The London Fire Department says carelessness lead to a kitchen grease fire that destroyed an apartment on Trossacks Ave. Monday morning.Firefighters were called to a five story building near the intersection of Adelaide St. and Fanshawe Park Rd. just before 10:00 a.m.They say the smoke coming from the unit on the top floor of […]

East London Shed Fire

August 20th, 2012|

Passerby Commended
He acted as many would like to think we would in such a situation. A London man is to thank for helping to get two people to safety as a fire broke out in their shed and home.

Good Samaritan Helps During Shed Fire

August 19th, 2012|

A London homeowner helped by a good samaritan yesterday when their backyard shed caught fire.

London Fire says a passing cyclist heard cries for help coming from a home on Pegler Street – in the Hamilton Road and Rectory area just before 2pm.

The man went to see what was wrong and found a backyard shed […]

Cyclist Saves Couple, Dogs from East London Shed Fire

August 19th, 2012|

What started out as an innocent bike turned into anything but for a London man Sunday.Around 1 p.m., the cyclist heard calls for help coming from the backyard of a home on Peglar Street near Hamilton Road.When he made his way to the back of the house, he found a shed fully engulfed in […]

Backyard shed in London destroyed by fire

August 19th, 2012|

A backyard shed was destroyed by a fire estimated to have caused $50,000 of damage Sunday.

A cyclist was passing a house at 7 Pegler St. when he heard cries for help coming from the backyard, according to the London Fire Department. When he found the backyard shed on fire, he called 911 and helped […]

Dam rescue exercise brings water, technical rescue teams together for first time

August 15th, 2012|

At least two reporters thought there was real drama unfolding at the Carfrae Dam Wednesday morning (Aug. 15) after a dispatcher was heard over the emergency services scanner calling for rescue teams to pull a person from the Thames River.

Upon arrival at the scene near the intersection of Richmond and Carfrae streets, a message […]

Open Air Burning Ban Lifted

August 10th, 2012|

Due to the changing weather conditions, the London Fire Department has now lifted the ban on open air burning. Londoners are reminded to review the requirements of the Open Air Burning By-law before participating in any such fires. Information on the by-law can be found at City of London Open Burning Info Sheets.

via London […]

Neighbour Sounds Alarm Over Attic Fire

August 5th, 2012|

A fire last night could have been much worse if it wasn’t for the help of a neighbour.

London Fire officials say it was a neighbour who first noticed a house fire at a home in southeast London.

They say an overheated venting fan sparked the blaze in the attic of a house on Ebury Crescent, […]

Now-defunct fitness club hit with $35,000 fine for padlocking exit door

August 2nd, 2012|

The owner of a London fitness club that closed earlier this year was handed a $35,000 fine Tuesday (July 31) for violating the provincial fire code.

Premier Fitness (Highbury) Inc. was convicted in London’s provincial offence court on the charge of failing to remove chains and a lock from an exit door at the now […]